Fall 2021 Festival Updates
The International Festival will be back to its one-day format for Fall 2021! This webpage outlines the logistics of the event. Please email email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns.
Set-up will open at 8:00 am, and your organization must arrive no later than 9:00 AM. Please be ready for I-House staff to review your setup and food stations no later than 9:40 AM.
International Festival Format and Schedule
- The 2021 International Festival will occur on Friday, September 24, 2021 from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
- The festival will be hosted on Pedestrian Walkway. Booths will be set up from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM, and performances will happen throughout the event.
- If your booth will be serving food and/or beverages, one person from each group must attend Food Safety Training provided by the International House. Trainings will take place on Thursday, September 16, 2021 at 11:00 AM and 4:00 PM.
- Booths will be allowed to cook and provide their own food or serve food that has been catered from a local restaurant. See details in the “Food” section below.
- Only UT organizations and groups can register to host a booth for the International Festival.
- If your organization or group’s booth is approved, the International House will provide a 10×10 tent, two six-foot tables, two chairs, and a tablecloth. To remain in compliance with the university’s food safety recommendations, each booth will also be supplied with multiple sets of plastic gloves and a bottle of hand sanitizer.
- I-House must be notified of any booth cancellations at least seven days prior to the International Festival. If you cancel in less than seven days, your organization will be required to pay a $100 fee to cover cost of tent, table, and chair rental, and this may affect your ability to participate in future I-House events.
When you arrive on the day of the festival, an International House staff member will direct you to your booth’s location.
Food and Drink
- Required Food Safety Training: You must send at least one representative who plans to serve food to Food Safety Training at the International House, or your group will not be able to serve food at the International Festival. After signing up, you will receive an email regarding the date of training.
- Groups are required to serve all food (instead of allowing festival attendees to serve themselves). We recommend having at least 1 or 2 people serving food onto plates and to-go containers, and at least one more person to talk about the organization.
- Groups must comply with all safety measures. If a measure is violated, groups will be given a warning. Upon a second violation, the group will be asked to leave the festival.
What We Provide
- The International House will provide your country’s flag, a sign identifying your booth, a tent, 2 six-foot tables, tablecloth, 2 chairs, and an electrical outlet. These items must be returned to International House staff at the end of the festival.
- You must bring your own tape and decorations for your booth.
Set-Up and Clean-Up
- Set-up will begin at 8:00 AM. By 9:00 am, a representative from your organization or group must check in at the International House booth to receive your booth location, organization/group sign, and flag.
- Let International House staff review your set-up and food stations no later than 9:40 AM. Staff will visit your booth every 15 minutes to ensure safety measures are being followed.
- You are responsible for cleaning up your booth throughout the day and at 2:00 PM when the festival is over.
- DO NOT START CLEANING/PACKING UP UNTIL 2:00 PM. Booths should be completely packed away by 2:30 PM so I-House staff can complete final cleaning.
- The I-House will provide your country flag and a sign that you may use. You are responsible for all decorations for your booth.
- Be creative! And bring tape!
- Student organizations have the option of participating in the annual International Festival Booth Contest.
- Booths are judged on educational value, cultural awareness, visual presentation, and engagement. Booths may offer virtual learning materials (such as information accessible through a QR code) if they would like.
- First place winners will be announced and will be honored with a space and photo on a plaque that will be at the International House.
- Additional prizes, such as UCopy or restaurant credit, may also be available to support your organization should you win the booth competition.
Parking is your responsibility. You will likely need to park nearby the festival and carry your supplies in. Please review eligible parking lots at Parking.utk.edu
- If we need to use a rain location for the International Festival, we will make that decision no later than 12:00 PM on Thursday, September 23, and we will notify you at the email address we have on file for your group.
- Rain location: Student Union Ballroom, 1502 Cumberland Ave.
- One 8-foot table and 2 chairs will be provided for each booth.
- Since the ballroom has carpet, please make every effort to avoid spills from food and drinks. We know some spills are unavoidable, but please notify an International House staff member ASAP so that we can assist you in cleaning up. The International House will be required to pay for any carpet cleaning that is required after this event, and we appreciate your help in keeping that to a minimum.
- The following will not be allowed in the rain location:
- helium balloons
- open flames
- wet paint
- decorations that are affixed to any surface belonging to the Student Union
- If your organization uses glitter, helium balloons, open flames, wet paint, or affixed decorations, it will be responsible for any fines, cleaning fees, or other expenses incurred by the International House from the Student Union. If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.