Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Taxes FAQ

Do you have a quick question about your 2021 tax filing requirements? Review the frequently asked questions information below and contact if you have any other questions.

ALL international students and scholars who were present in the U.S. at any point in the calendar year are required to submit a tax document, regardless if you received income in the U.S. or not. If you did not receive any income in the U.S., you will only need to file Form 8843. If you did receive income in the tax year, you would file a tax return (Form 1040-NR or 1040S-NR) alongside a Form 8843.

Yes, if you receive income in the U.S., you should have already applied for and received a social security number (SSN). If you are not eligible for a SSN but have taxable income such as a scholarship you will need to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

CGE can assist students and scholars with ITIN applications however, we are unable to assist with dependent ITIN applications. We can provide recommendations for tax preparers who can assist with dependent ITIN applications. In most cases if you are making income in the U.S. you will receive a SSN, those who need an ITIN are typically student athletes with taxable scholarships and no additional income.

If you are employed by UT, you should be able to access your W-2 on your
MyUTK or directly through the payroll website.

Your 1042-S should be available on Glacier and prepopulate when filing your tax forms.

If you received any U.S. income, you should receive a W-2. If you did not receive a 1042-S, you may not be eligible to receive one — and that is okay! You may receive a 1042-S if your wages are subject to tax exemption by a tax treaty or if you received a taxable scholarship.

If you make any income in the U.S., you are required to pay taxes on that
income. Normally, tax is automatically deducted from your paycheck. In some cases, you may owe taxes at the end of the year because not enough tax was withheld. Your employer will calculate this deduction with Form W-4. Glacier will populate form W-4 correctly, so it is recommended to update your record on Glacier, download the W-4 that it creates, and send it to your employer.

The state of Tennessee does not require a state tax return. If you made income in a state other than Tennessee, you will need to research the filing requirements with that state.

Residency for tax purposes is determined by the Substantial Presence Test. You can review the stipulations of the substantial presence test on the IRS website, but luckily, Glacier does the work for you! Once you fill out your information on Glacier, the website will determine your residency for tax purposes.

Glacier Tax Prep (GTP) will assist non-resident aliens to complete their tax return forms. Follow the steps and answer the questions on the website and GTP will prepare the tax forms for you. Each page has a sidebar that defines some terms that may confuse you. GTP has a FAQ page that may answer questions specific to you. You can also send questions to the GTP staff via the “HELP” link.

The IRS has listed some options available for free if your income is under a certain threshold. You should carefully consider multiple options to file your tax return to make sure the service you are using is trustworthy and has a good reputation.

Tax return forms for income received in 2021 are due April 15th, 2022.

You may have filed incorrect forms under the incorrect residency status. It is recommended you take appropriate steps to amend your taxes. There is some information on the GTP website on amending your tax return, but you may also want to pursue assistance from a tax professional. Please email if you need recommendations for reputable tax professionals in the Knoxville area.

If you did not make any income, and you were physically present in the United States at any time in 2021, all you will need to do is complete Form 8843. The form is very simple and can be completed without the assistance of GTP

Yes, even if they did not earn income. Each dependent should fill out a form 8843(or a parent/guardian can fill out a form for them) and mail them in separate envelopes to this address:
Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301-0215

Unfortunately, ISSS advisors are not trained in tax law and cannot provide assistance in filling out taxes. You are welcome to visit a VITA site for assistance or use the GTP “help” function to ask specific questions.

Don’t worry! Your only obligation is to file; if you make a mistake, you will be notified. A mistake in your filing will not impact your immigration status in any way. Do your best, keep copies, and submit on time!