Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program

VITA is a volunteer outreach program established by the IRS and operated by different organizations in the community. It is available to students or scholars with an annual income under $54,000 and to people over age 60.

The university offers two locations of VITA assistance in the spring. In order to assure you visit the correct VITA site, review the residency information on our Tax Return Basics page or use the GTP software sent out by UT. You may also review the tax residency information. The International House runs the Nonresident Alien VITA Site and the Law School runs the Resident Alien VITA Site. Appointments for non-resident alien tax assistance through this site are required. Before the appointment, please gather all your relevant documents and have your questions ready.

Nonresident Alien VITA Site – International House

International Student and Scholar Services will provide appointments for the 2022 Tax Year. If you are a resident alien for tax purposes, do not sign up for an appointment with International Student and Scholar Services. Please use the information below to contact the law school.

Resident Alien VITA Site – Law School

The law school will provide appointments for the 2022 Tax Year. For resident alien VITA sites in the Knoxville Community please use this website. The IRS has provided resources for free filing services for resident aliens. For free filing options please review the IRS website.

Please visit the IRS website for other Knoxville locations where VITA is offered. Availability of times and dates vary from location to location.

For those who do not qualify for assistance through the VITA program or have complex tax situations (for example, someone who earned investment income such as stock or capital gains) may want to consider using a paid tax preparer to complete their tax return. These individuals can assist you in filing your taxes but charge a fee that could be $100 or more.