The International Dance Competition is held each spring and is an opportunity for any UT students (as well as faculty, staff, and alumni) to showcase their dance skills. Groups select a culture that they want to represent and prepare a 5-7 minute dance number complete with costumes and choreography. Groups are judged and winners announced at the end. It’s a great celebration of dance from all over the world. The 2017 show included American Breakdancing, Korean Pop Dance, Russian Traditional Dance, Indian Traditional Dance, and others!
The 2018 International Dance Competition will be held on Friday, February 23rd at 7:00 PM in Cox Auditorium of the Alumni Memorial Building.
Rules for Competition
1. All dancers must be UT students, faculty, staff, or alumni.
2. Groups must have at least one member from the country/culture represented by the dance performance. If the group does not have any members from the country/culture represented by the dance, groups must consult with someone from the country/culture they are representing.
3. Dance performances must be between 5-7 minutes.
4. Groups will be required to submit their music to an I-House staff member along with a description of their dance performance and the song title(s) no later than Monday, February 12th.
5. Due to space limitation on the Cox Auditorium stage, we can NOT accommodate any group that has more than 30 members.
6. Groups will be required attend a rehearsal on Monday, Feb 19th prior to International Dance Competition. If groups cannot attend this rehearsal, they will be required to arrange their own reservation of the I-House Great Room to rehearse their performance.
7. Three guest judges will score each performance to determine the winners of the International Dance Competition. Groups will be judged on the following criteria: choreography and execution, passion/interaction with the audience, cultural expression, and costumes/visual.
8. Groups will be required to agree to release their photos for future publicity. (updated on Jan 10th, 2018)
|Group Registration Deadline||Sunday, February 4th, 2018, midnight|
|Dance Group Rehearsal||Monday, February 19th, 2018, 5:00pm-11:00pm|
|International Dance Competition||Friday, February 23rd 2018, 7:00pm-8:30pm|
Team registration is open now. Click here.