The International Dance Competition is held each spring and is an opportunity for any UT students (as well as faculty, staff, and alumni) to showcase their dance skills. Groups or an individual select a culture that they want to represent and prepare one act (maximum 5 minutes). The performance should include costumes and choreography. Groups are judged and winners announced at the end. It’s a great celebration of dance from all over the world. The 2018 show included American Breakdancing, Korean Pop Dance, Russian Traditional Dance, Indian Traditional and Modern Dance, and others!
The 2019 International Dance Competition will be held on Friday, April 12 at 7:00 PM in The Student Union.
Rules for Competition
1. All dancers must be UT students, faculty, staff, or alumni.
2. Groups must have at least one member from the country/culture represented by the dance performance. If the group does not have any members from the country/culture represented by the dance, groups must consult with someone from the country/culture they are representing.
3. Dance performances must be 5 minutes or less.
4. Groups will be required to submit their music to an I-House staff member along with a description of their dance performance and the song title(s) no later than Monday, April 1st.
5. Due to space limitation on the Student Union Auditorium stage, we can NOT accommodate any group that has more than 25 members.
6. Groups will be required to attend a rehearsal on Wednesday, April 10 prior to International Dance Competition. If groups cannot attend this rehearsal, they will be required to arrange their own reservation of the I-House Great Room to rehearse their performance.
7. Three guest judges will score each performance to determine the winners of the International Dance Competition. Groups will be judged on the following criteria: choreography and execution, passion/interaction with the audience, cultural expression, and costumes/visual.
8. Groups will be required to agree to release their photos for future publicity.
(updated on Feb. 12th, 2019)
|Group Registration Deadline||Friday, March 15th, 2019, midnight|
|Dance Group Rehearsal||Wednesday, April 10th, 2019, 6:00pm-10:00pm|
|International Dance Competition||Friday, April 12th, 2019, 7:00pm – 10pm|
Team registration is open now. Click here.